BY DEBAJYOTI CHAKRABORTY
KOLKATA, 1 OCTOBER 2022
The binless city of Indore in Madhya Pradesh has bagged the cleanest city of the country award for a record sixth consecutive year, received a day before the birth anniversary of Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi, the man who has inspired the mega Swach Bharat campaign of the Narendra Modi government at the centre.
The Swachata Survekshan is the world’s largest sanitation survey and started in 2016. In Swachata Survekshan – 2022 about 4355 cities of India took part in the 7 th edition of the survey.
Smt. Droupadi Murmu, President of India has handed over the awards at a function in New Delhi today. Union housing and urban affairs minister Hardeep Singh Puri was also present on the occasion.
” The annual survey is an assessment tool to analyse and compare the status of sanitation of Indian cities under the Swachh Bharat Mission”. “Although it started out with the assessment of only 73 cities, Swachh Survekshan 2022 has managed to accomplish the assessment of 4354 cities (Including 62 Cantonment Boards and 91 Ganga Towns),” according to a press statement by the union government.
The Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India, and the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) of India, annually publish the National City Rating under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan scheme.
Surat of Gujarat and Navi Mumbai of Maharashtra have bagged the second and third position in the cleanest cities of the country category.
Two cities of Madhya Pradesh have figured in the top ten list while three cities of Andhra Pradesh have also figured in the top ten cleanest cities in the country.
Indore, the binless city of the country is not only clean and green but also transforms the solid waste disposal to wealth. It earns huge money by recycling the everyday produced municipal solid waste of the city.
The TOP TEN CLEAN CITIES IN INDIA IN 2022 are :
· Rank 1: Indore, Madhya Pradesh
· Rank 2: Surat, Gujarat
· Rank 3: Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
· Rank 4: Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
· Rank 5: Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh
· Rank 6: Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
· Rank 7: Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh
· Rank 8: Mysore, Karnataka
· Rank 9: New Delhi, Delhi
· Rank 10: Ambikapur, Chhattisgarh
· · After getting the news the municipal workers of Indore started celebrations by bursting fire crackers. Its celebration time in Indore, which has become the poster city of India’s Swaach Bharat campaign.
· Pilgrim city of Haridwar has been adjudged the cleanest Ganga town, followed by two other pilgrim cities, Varanasi and Risikesh.
· In Eastern India, the small state of Jharkhand has done reasonably well in the less populated municipal towns category.
'Azadi@75 Swachh Survekshan-2022 results dashboard' was launched by the Hon'ble President of India, Smt. Droupadi Murmu (@rashtrapatibhvn) during the Azadi@75 #SwachhSurvekshan2022#IndiaVsGarbage #SwachhAmritMahotsav pic.twitter.com/NU1HBaQZJz
— Swachh Bharat Urban (@SwachhBharatGov) October 1, 2022